Microscopy at the Sainsbury Laboratory covers a wide range of techniques from macro-imaging/photography through to stereofluorescence, confocal and scanning electron microscopy. Support facilities include a well-equipped prep room, sample incubation growth chamber, uninterrupted back up power supply (for high-end confocal and SEM systems) and data storage on a central server.
SLCU has the following microscopy equipment:
- Macro- and stereo-imaging
- 3D stereo and digital microscopy
- Basic epifluorescence microscopy
- Microscopy using illuminated DIC and high sensitivity, in focus epifluorescence
- Confocal microscopy
- Scanning Electron Microscopy
- Atomic Force Microscopy
Access to the Microscopy Core Facility
In addition to members of the SLCU, the core facility also supports research carried out in other departments including Plant Sciences, Biochemistry, Neuroscience, Materials Science and Geology. Access to use the facility can be arranged by contacting Ray Wightman.